Tinsel Christmas Tree Tutorial

Thought I'd share an idea with you that I had last night to make these cute little tinsel trees. It came when I started thinking about those cute little bottle brush trees that I always see at Christmas time. I always incorporate them into my projects, but wanted something with a little more punch and glamour because, as you know, Christmas is the time of year that we can totally over do it on the decorating ~ more is always better!

Each one of these little babies took me less than 10 minutes to make, so this SUCH a quick and easy project! They would be even more fabulous if you decorated them with the mardi gras beads (like I have pictured at the base of the trees), buttons, pearls, etc.

So, here I have a photo of the two of the trims that I used (you can find tinsel trims in the AMM store HERE , HERE and HERE.

Start off by just grabbing a spare sheet of some time of cardstock (I used a white background). You can use a 12 x 12, 8 x 8 or an 8 1/2 x 11 - you choose. I cut them from all different sizes because I wanted my trees to stagger. Then, roll up the paper from one of the corners (as shown below) and then glue down the flap on the side to the cone. You could probably staple it, but I haven't tried it that way yet. Just needs to be semi-secure.


As shown below, you will then cut off the base to the desired height that you want for your tree. Doesn't have to be perfect. Just make sure that it's pretty straight so that it will sit flat on a surface.


Then, starting from the point at the top of the tree, spread some glue about 2 inches all around the cone (I used Fabri-tac) and start wrapping your tinsel around it. Every 2 inches or so, I stopped and put down some more glue, then continued wrapping.



Here's what this little silver tree will look like when it's done. See! Seriously EASY PEASY!!!


I'm coming up with all types of ideas as I write this on what else I can do with these. They have glass candlestick holders at The Dollar Tree that you could sit these on top of ~ or even candlestick holders that you already have! Decorate away and have a ball! Hope this has inspired you!

3 comments:

Angi Barrs said...

Fabulous trees!!!

Dale Tiernan said...

Do you know what, that's awesome. You could charge $20 for these in a store probably. I'm gonna try it, see how it turns out. Thanks for sharing.

Denise G said...

Beautiful! They are just beautiful trees! Do you know how much tinsel you used? I looked at the store and it looks like it comes in 1 yard packages... how many packages would I need to buy?
Thanks for the inspiration.